Monday, October 4, 2010

Film-crafting

Since this class started in August, I have basked in the bright world of knitting, crocheting, and all textiles. However, my true passion lies outside the realm of yarn and in the world of film-crafting. Yes, I’ve made up this word but it does have meaning!

There are two forms of film-crafting. One is the crafting of the film itself. Piecing together stories, shots, and dialogue to create a cohesive vehicle of expression. I’m currently in pre-production on two films. I’ve written a synopsis for a film that will hopefully be made this coming Spring. It’s about a magician who sucks at magic. Being pushed by his grandmother to find a job, our magician is faced with a difficult road ahead. I’m also in the pre-pre production stages of my thesis film titled “Man in the Moon.” I’ll spare you the crude plot and just say that I’m very excited about it.

Now, the other form of film-crafting has to do with the crafting of objects, also call properties (props). Set design also falls into this category. I’ve dabbled in this over the years. I often made props and costumes for no reason other than that I wanted to. Films don’t often call for the obscure props I like to make. For example, if any of you are fans of the show The Office, you’ll appreciate the replica Princess Unicorn Doll I made when I was a freshman. My roommate must have thought I was nuts when she came into my room to find me sitting in a pile of fabric, hand sewing a pink dress onto a Barbie with a spear sticking out of her forehead. (Coincidently we weren’t roommates the next semester.) I also created a Nightmare Before Christmas mask for one of my guy friends. This summer I made a Wesley Clock for a birthday gift (with all the moving parts :D). Most recently, I finished a marionette hand that I made from tiny hinges, springs, eye screws, string and wood. It attaches to your upper arm so when you move your fingers, the wooden fingers mimic your movements. Don’t ask me why I did it. I saw something similar on the internet and just had to try and make it. Hopefully it will serve a purpose one day. Otherwise it’s still a really good conversation piece.

Crafting is never expensive and you rarely get your money back. In my opinion, however, having these tangible items give you such a sense of pride and accomplishment that the money spent becomes negligible. Before I sign off, I’d like to direct your attention to the following knitting-music video. I don’t think there’s a better combination of my love of filmmaking and my love of craft. 713 individual swatches were used. Here it is. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment