Monday, October 31, 2011

Turkey Hat!

The first (or at least one of the first) crafts that I can remember making was a Turkey Hat back in Kindergarten.

---- I'm pretty sure they used mine as an example on Google---

The school commemorated, although two months apart, the holidays of Thanksgiving and Grandparents Day on the same day. So, since my actual grandparents were away looking at new homes in Chicago, I brought with me two people who I considered my grandparents. The Stockights were members of my church, and Ms. Darlene had been my Sunday School teacher, and my Nursery caregiver since I was born, so it seemed appropriate to invite them along. I remember thinking of myself as a spy the entire day, because I had snuck in a pair of elderly people who weren't actually my grandparents and I figured no one would figure out. The old "church member" in the grandparent disguise. Needless to say, I had a blast making this craft, and I remember it so vividly. Not because the craft is that great (although who wouldn't wear a turkey hat??), but because of the event that craft stood for when I made it. I think that is the most important thing to to have when you are making something; a purpose. Define a purpose for a craft, such as remembering an event, defining a cause, or celebrating a loved one, and the craft will last much longer than ever before.

If you feel compelled to create your own Turkey Hat, here is the link to the instructions!

No comments:

Post a Comment