Monday, December 6, 2010

Newfound Skills


I had never held a knitting needle before this semester started, so I've been giving myself a crash course in knitting techniques in order to make gifts for my family before Christmas.

So far, I've finished a purple checker-patterned scarf and I'm well on my way to finishing two others. Much of what I'm doing is modifying the same pattern for slightly different looks, but I've also been teaching myself how to crochet.
After an unsuccessful attempt at learning how to knit in the round, I decided i didn't have enough time left to figure it out and opted to teach myself how to crochet instead. You wouldn't think that would be easier or faster. Thankfully though, I was able to pick it up quickly and within two days I've got a vaguely hat-shaped red thing that I hope I can finish before the end of the week.
I hadn't planned on learning how to crochet, but I'm glad I did. It has a totally different feeling than knitting, and I enjoy switching from one to the other as I attempt to finish all of my projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment