Monday, October 18, 2010

The Art of Illusion Knitting

So I know that in my last blog I talked about illusion knitting as well. However, in doing research for our research paper for our Craft Wisely I found what I think is the most amazing thing.

Our research paper assignment is to connect knitting or crafting to our area of study. As it is, I am a Mathematics Major, so I was looking for articles and sources that relate knitting to math.
While searching www.ravelry.com, is a free site for knitters and crocheters, I came across this group titled "Woolly Thoughts," a "A group for fans of Woolly Thoughts, and mathematical knitting and crochet in general." Woolly Thoughts is a series of books as well as a website that is run by Pat Ashforth and Steve Plummer, a married couple that are mathematicians as well as designers and knitting enthusiasts.

They have developed a mathematical and logical method for creating really amazing illusion knitting pieces. For example, they have been able to recreate images such as the Mona Lisa and the Girl with a Pearl Earring.
These are just a few of the works that are posted in the gallery on their sister site http://www.illusionknitting.woollythoughts.com.


I was completely amazed that they were able to create such detailed works of art, especially in an illusion format. I'm hoping to either recreate one of their patters or create one of my own at some point. Wish me luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment