Monday, October 4, 2010

To craft, or not to craft?


As the chilly mornings come upon us, I have been rummaging through my old sweaters. Throughout this process, I can’t help but notice how simple many of them seem after the beautiful, intricate winter clothing that I’ve seen patterns for. For example, Fireside Sweater by Amber Allison on Ravelry.com is so stunning and it is supposedly fairly simple to make! This Bamboozie tunic pattern is from www.allfreeknitting.com. The majority of my sweaters are a single color with a cabling pattern or two at the most.



Although this realization makes me somewhat hesitant to buy sweaters that I know are very simple to make, especially when you consider the price tag that is typically attached to them, there are still many aspects of the homemade that cause me to question creating handmade items such as sweaters for myself or loved ones. This is a topic of controversy for me because it seems that these items would be so hard to care for. As a college student, I greatly value a garment that washes up well in addition to satisfying my personal style. I know that many people have had experience with this, and I would appreciate any horror stories as well as any positive experiences or comments. In Lynn’s blog, she said that her sister compared knitted objects to human beings, beautiful even with their flaws. I have to remember this as I explore the world of knitting. Although these pieces may not be as easy to care for as I would like for them to be, they are so beautiful that I believe the hassle of hand washing might be compensated for. I need to view this more as a relationship (as with people), and remember that most things that are worthwhile require some work. And once you put in the minutes, hours, days, or years to accomplish something beautiful, those extra minutes, or even hours, of care could surely be overlooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment