Wednesday, November 9, 2011

An Interview With My Mother, the Crafter

Me: What is your earliest memory of crafting?
Mom: My grandmother's hands. They were always in mid stitch. Whether that was crocheting, knitting, tatting, or quilting.

Me: Has someone in your life inspired you to be a crafter?
Mom: Both my grandmother and my mother were 'handy' with a needle, but in very different ways. My mother is my most direct inspiration. She was never a pattern follower, where my grandmother followed design.

Me: What is your favorite type of crafting?
Mom: I enjoy the creation process, the design. I'm not a pattern follower either. So, for the most part I enjoy sewing items I can design, like curtains, pillows or other home design items.

Me: How often do you do this craft?
Mom: I'm sporadic. Sometimes I go months between projects.

Me: Do you prefer to do this craft alone or with others?
Mom: I like to sew alone, but have others validate me with their approval.

Me: Is there any specific craft you would like to learn?
Mom: I learned tatting as a teenager. I'd like to re-learn. I think it's a lost art that definitely reminds me of my grandmother.

Me: Do you find importance in passing on the crafts you have learned?
Mom: Yes, like my mother, I am comfortable with the creation process without a pattern to restrain my design. I think she has passed this on to me.

Me: Do you wish you had more time to craft?
Mom: Yes. I look forward to more time in my retirement... but I still have a few years to wait!


1 comment:

  1. I tat! If your mom ever wants to relearn (with me ... it's been a few years now!), tell her to make a coffee date!

    ReplyDelete