Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Adventure is Brewing





“Kate, I can smell that coffee coming down the hall!”

Since freshman year, much of my social life has revolved around first the coffee pot and later on, the French press. Pot. Not a fan of crowds, I found comfort connecting to individuals or small groups. I told my friends that I had an open coffee pot, and various friends would drop by throughout the week, groggy eyes begging for the miracles of caffeinated care. I quickly became dissatisfied with the white bread taste of, and I experimented with specialty coffees from Boulevard and the local company, Rozark Hills. My journey with roasting began with my boyfriend Wayne, roasting green beans in a dinted pan on the grill. The subtle nuances of the fresh beans were so delectable- I was tongue-tied to the possibilities of the coffee experience. Experimenting with coffee became an important part of my life, and I was soon addicted.

Roasting coffee personalizes one step of the many essential processes involved in creating a flavorful cup o’ joe. It is a complicated process that many coffee drinkers take for granted, and if you can call When buying coffee that is unroasted, I have more control over the ethically origins of my coffee. The coffees found in the aisles of Wal-marts and Piggly Wigglys are blends of beans purchased from several large industrial farms in a general region. As coffee crops are purchased through the system of middle men and ever changing commodity prices, those who farm the coffee are usually paid an unstable wage. I order my greens from a distributer works directly with farmers. This is not only ethical; it also provides a high caliber medium for crafting roasts, allowing me to explore the best way to the unique flavor of beans from a single region.

Beans selected from a micro lot or small farms have the potential for a unique flavor. The development of flavor is determined by the roasting process. This process is can be very creative, and a good roast relies on the equipment and experience of the roaster. The roaster can bring out the best unique characteristics of the bean, or ruin the origin traits. The roasting process for each origin is experimental. Some beans produce a better, more complex flavor when brought to the lightest roast. This was difficult for me to except; BOLD is not always best. Thankfully, light roasts are easily achieved. The beans are removed from the heat source immediately after the roaster listens to the beans enter the first cracking stage. Another easy roast that brings out the best flavor of many origins is the darker, second crack. However, for many beans, the finest flavor of a single origin coffee bean must be coaxed from the complex stage in between the two cracks. The roaster must have the experience to identify the smell of emitted smoke and color of the ever darkening bean in order to achieve a superior roast. Coffee begins to lose its flavor twenty four hours after it is roasted, consequently, to experience fresh coffee it is essential to purchase it from a local roaster or to roast your own beans. Once you become accustomed to the intimacy of the roasting process and the quality of the result, visiting star bucks is like going to Wal-mart on a holiday weekend to buy spam. Here are ten reasons to roast coffee at home.

Everything involving the production of coffee is part of its art. How the bean is picked, where it is stored, its origins, the way it is roasted, and the way it is prepared contribute to its unique enjoyment. Coffee making is a communal art, and our recent discussions led me to see how Adam Smith’s division of labor is essential for me to pursue my passion. Excluding Hawaii, the environment in the United States is not conducive to growing coffee beans. I must depend on others for my passion, yet by roasting my own beans and experimenting with the various ways to brew and serve it, I am participating in an interconnected art form. Not only is this a creative and introspective experience, I also end the day with a product that connects me with others. I travel often, camping or climbing, and people can often hear the whir of the coffee grinder at from our car. The Turkish say that coffee is the “milk of chess players and thinkers."(allabout turkey.com) Coffee is an integral part of world culture, the second only to oil as the most desired world commodity. It is part of the traditions of many cultures and people; it is a part of daily routines and the center of sacred rituals. With knowledge of other cultures available a click away, the coffee experience can be created by a mixture of these rich traditions. It is a product that you can then share, a connection with others in silence, deep conversation, or the comradely found in the I-have-a-paper-due-at-eight-all-nighter-cup. Whatever the case, adventure is brewing!

Here is the beginning of a docmentary on coffee (the rest can be found on youtube)


5 comments:

  1. I like the way you identify the experience necessary to this right. It's getting that experience that can be frustrating for many of us -- because getting it means having to do it wrong a lot until we can pinpoint the crucial perceptions needed to differentiate between wrong and right. Do we have the patience for this? Is it a reason more people don't learn?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing! I did not even know that roasting coffee beans was something you can do at home before you mentioned. I'd love to try sometime!

    And I'm not Kate but I'd like to make a comment on Donna's question... I think the reason why people don't learn is because you don't even think that it is possible to roast coffee beans at home. Also you cannot really save money with this activity, which might be a reason not to do this.
    But the coffee you roasted and brewed with some effort would taste so good - not only because you can have the coffee right after it was roasted, but also because of the psychology to think that something you put some effort ought to be good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roasting coffee is surprisingly easy, and beginners can roast beans in a popcorn popper. When we first started, Wayne and I were able to roast our beans for the week in under an hour. Coffee, like knitting, is a hobby that develops into deeper levels of complexity. However, even a small taste of the art is enjoyable.

    Actually, roasting your own coffee saves money. If you want to purchase a good quality coffee, it will usually cost you seven to fifteen dollars a pound. The fair-trade, organic roasts of Starbucks cost twelve dollars a pound. Fair-trade, organic, single origin beans can be purchased starting at around four dollars a pound. Roasting coffee has saved us a lot of money this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting. You mention buying single origin, fair-trade, organic beans. Where do you find them?

    Also, I think it would be interesting to look into the ethics behind specific producers. A recent GQ article discussed ethical eating, and it might be good to look into, as well.

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We purchase our beans from Sweet Marias; they are set up to educate and encourage rookie home roasters.

    I enjoyed reading the article you mentioned. I thought it was interesting that the "returning to the land" trend is something that occurs approximately every thirty years. One of my friends, this summer made a food miles map. She would look at all of the ingredients that go into a meal and then add up the miles that went into transporting those products. It is a humbling and frightening experiment to try when you go grocery shopping.

    ReplyDelete