Monday, September 13, 2010

Ok. So crocheting isn't that horrible.




I thought that ever since I learned to knit last year, that it was going to be my thing. I loved to knit, even thought I didn't even think to learn purl until a couple weeks ago. I knew i was going to have to learn a new craft: crocheting, but i assumedit wasn't going to be as cool as knitting. And a first i was right. I HATED to crochet. It was hard, the book wasnt telling me how to doanything except make a slip knot (which i already knew how to do). So i was just going to give up until i could come back to school and ask someone to show me how to do it properly.
Then i found out that my mom used to crochet when i was little (i dont know why she keeps stuff from me) and she said that she loved it, having never learned how to knit. S
o i figured that since my mom loved it (but
has since forgotten how to do it) I would end up at least liking it too, so i gave it another chance. (even though i actually ripped everything up)
I decided my new attempts at crocheting would just be experimental. I did (what i have since learned is a) Chain Stitch, and then just kept on crocheting around and around the chain stitch. I already showed it in class, but it ended up being a weird bowel-like object.

My second attempt wasnt much better but i finally learned how to do a turning stitch so it was still a significant improvement. First, i was
only picking up one of the two lines in the V so it ended up making a stacking crocheted swatch. Second, i was basically just(i don know the word for crochet, so ill use the one for knitting) casting off after every stitch and pic
king it back up again on the next one. It was very confusing until Tamami told me what i was doing wrong (Thanks Tamami!)
After doing these new, and CORRECT stitches for a few rows, i ditched that swatch and started on a red scarf that i will probably end up using for the red scarf project. Its no anything fancy, but to give it some texture i am alternating three treble crochets and two regular crochets. Its simple and pretty shade of red, and I'm really sad that the first thing i will make, i cant keep, but i hope i will feel good about it later. :)

Changing topics, i went home last weekend an noticed a new blanket on the couch. I went up to it, and recognized it as a shell crochet pattern! i felt so proud that i could recognize the stitches! (mom had gotten it at a y
ard sale earlier that day, from the woman that had crocheted it for fun, it is really pretty :D)
After that i started look at all kinds of fabrics up close seeing it can tell what kind of stitch is keeping it together. So far i
havent identified anything, but im pretty sure that i have a blanket that was weaved together on my bed...

I like crocheting so much now, that i find it hard to switch over to my knitting every now and then. Crocheting just goes by so much faster so i feel like i am accomplishing more.


2 comments:

  1. I, too, had a change of heart toward crochet. When I first started learning it -- from a book -- I was turning out crazy, knotted, twisted, lumps of yarn. I was very frustrated trying to follow diagrams in the book(s). Then I took a private lesson. It made all the difference in the world, and I've enjoyed crocheting since then.

    After much practice with a dishcloth, some ripped up swatches, and a large swatch for a yarn-bombing contribution, my tension problems have worked themselves out, and I can go along pretty much without thinking.

    The problem that remains for me is that I really don't like the texture of crochet for things like sweaters, hats, and blankets. I much prefer knitted fabric. What I do LOVE in crochet, though, are flowers! So my next task is to learn to crochet a circle. From there, I think I'll buy a flower pattern book. Soon, I'll be attaching flowers to everything in sight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And because its so easy to rip out back to any spot and start again (unlike knitting, which is sooo hard to back track) i really cant remember how many times i ripped my scarf out when i didnt like something...

    i know exactly what you mean about the flowers! when i only have time for a little bit of crocheting, i love just cranking out a flower in five minutes, or more, if im just bored! i cant count how many ive made, mostly because someone always wants one so i make one right then

    yeah my next project will definitely include attached flowers! :D

    ReplyDelete