Monday, September 27, 2010

Project Overload

I first started knitting this summer, and once I got past the initial frustration of figuring out the basic stitches, I realized just how much potential there is in this craft. By potential, I mean the almost infinite selection of things we can make. There are tons of designs and patterns to choose from, and my mind automatically churns out ideas for projects. My preoccupation with ideas has its pros and cons. Just like with writing stories (another hobby of mine), brainstorming is half the fun. I get hooked on an awesome idea, but partway through the project I think of something even better and can't resist starting that project too. Soon enough, I've got multiple projects going and not enough time to work on them all. These scarves are a few of the things I'm trying to finish right now.

Thank goodness I'm an amateur with only a tenuous grasp on knitting -if I actually knew what I was doing, I'd probably be buried under a mound of projects. It's the same way with yarn. With all of those different kinds, colors, and textures out there, it's hard to pick out just one. So I end up with a whole drawer full of yarn that I won't get around to using for months -if ever. The possibilites may be overwhelming, but it sure keeps things interesting. If you ever find yourself getting tired of working on a project, I recommend starting a new one. It'll be slow going, but switching back and forth between projects is a good way to keep boredom at bay if you feel knitting turning into a chore.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are quickly becoming more than an amateur. An obsession with yarn, a constant yen to start new projects -- those are the signs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got all of my knitting projects done except for the one I'm working on. It's a relief to have just one project in my knitting queue, but it does get a little boring when you're used to project-hopping!

    ReplyDelete