Monday, September 13, 2010

Crafting! what a Joy it is knowing that you can actually make something that you can use. Back at home, I used to crochet but I never finished anything I started. I would start crocheting a table cloth, for example, and end up making just six rows at most, and get tired of it.

When the Honors college started the Craft wisely class for the Junior seminar this Fall, I was so happy and couldn't wait to register for the class. I thought this was something I would be interested in doing, and I would finally get to start something and finish it. I was caught by surprise when my Professor, Donna Bowman, posted our first assignment and a list of stuff we had to buy, because what I thought was knitting, when I was home, was actually crocheting. So, I had the challenge of learning a new craft which was knitting. At first I did not understand how I would do it because when I looked at the knitting needles I kept wondering how somebody would pick the thread with that kind of a needle. My ordered items finally arrived and I had a hard time at first just following the book on how to knit, but I watched a youtube video where I understood well how to do it, I guess it is better to learn something by watching somebody else do it :-). Now I am almost done with my Red Scarf, for the "Red scarf project" and I am so proud that I am finally going to finish something I have started, and what I am making will actually help somebody in need. I have posted a picture of my red scarf above(left) and I have ordered some other yarns, and will start making something other than a scarf, for myself as soon as I receive them. I am currently making rib-stitched scarf using a two-color yarn(right) and I am proud that I am motivated to keep practicing knitting. I really thank Donna for starting this class because I get to learn something that will help me in life, and leaving alone the knitting, the class discussions also help me gain a better understanding of some stuff going on in this world.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on being close to finishing a project! I know what that's like -- to start things and not finish them. I'm working on that!

    I'm glad that making a scarf for someone who needs it gives you a good feeling. Being able to use our skills for others is so important.

    ReplyDelete