Wednesday, October 26, 2011

FO For the Win!

I’ve been knitting for about two years now, and I can honestly say that each project I finished during that first year was my proudest finished object.  Before I started knitting, I had trouble finishing projects.  I tried to learn to crochet and started blanket after blanket (which all ended up shaped like a triangle).  With knitting, I found something that made since to me, and it was one of my deepest desires to finish an object.  I still remember the feeling I had when I finished my first scarf, which was a lumpy apple green mess with a hastily embroidered “A” on it for my cousin Allyson.  But after all the projects I have completed now, I can honestly say that my proudest finished object would have to be the sweater I completed this summer.
The construction of the sweater wasn’t as difficult as I thought it was going to be.  Since most of it was knitted in the round, there was a lot of brainless knitting that occurred after I had made it around the arm area.  The simple stockinette stitching through the body and the ribbing on the neck and waist make the sweater look so cohesive that I had almost convinced myself that someone could have paid money for it.  The thick white and turquoise stripes contrasted against each other so well that my aversion to using multiple colors was starting to wear away.  I think I was so proud of finishing it because when I started knitting, I had the image that only the most skilled and amazing knitters could make sweaters, and let’s face it, I didn’t think I would ever be one of those people.  But in this project I found not only a beautiful finished object, but confidence in my self and in my own abilities.  This project broke down many of the barriers I had set up for myself in my knitting ability, and by doing so has allowed my to continue trying more difficult projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment