Sunday, October 16, 2011

My Favorite Crafting Memory…

My mother is the superwoman of crafts, no lie. She made everything when I was little, from clothes (including these awful sunflower dresses she made for me and two of my cousins that we had to get pictures in), to comforters and everything else you would need to decorate a room like throw pillows, curtains, dust ruffle, pillow shams, picture boards, etc. Needless to say, when I was growing up, there was always a project going on. My mom's love for crafting has definitely spilled into my life. I look at all of the wonderful things she has made, and it motivates me to start making things too!
The most memorable craft from my childhood was the comforter she made me when I was about 10 years old. My room at the time was still baby girl pink, and had ballerinas on the wall paper, and I hated it! I was going through my tom-boy stage and I hated pink, so, my mother, being as incredible as she is, decided to redo my bedroom! I wanted to paint my walls bright yellow, and then decorate with several different colors (blue, green, red, purple). The comforter had to come first, so that we could decorate accordingly and it would be the focal point of the room. I remember my mom drawing out several different designs for it, and she let me help her narrow down the ideas until we decided on one.
The comforter we decided on was denim on one side (the underside) and on the top is was thick, diagonal stripes of yellow, red, purple, blue, and green fabric. She topped it all off with cute little ribbons and buttons.
It was so much fun "helping" my mom with this project. She let me hold the button while she stitched, and I helped her tie some of the bows. I just remember feeling so accomplished when it was over, even though I didn't really do much!

No comments:

Post a Comment