Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Dream Craft; Sew Many Possibilites

As long as I can remember, I've never been "crafty." I was always the last one to finish in art class, the one who hid her work from others, and the one to NEVER finish ANY project because I was always too concerned with what it looked like. The concept of arts and crafts scares me. I've always been told that i should strive to be as close to perfect as possible, and that's exactly what I've done. If I think i would be bad atsomething, I simply do not try. It's not that I don't have the creativity for crafty projects, because I do! I just hate rejection or the feeling that what I produce won't be good enough or pretty enough to please others.
If I could learn one skill, it would be to sew. Growing up, my favorite childhood activity was fashion. I was always changing my Barbie's clothes 12 times a day, and my own clothes even more! (So much that my mom threatened to make me do my own laundry at age 8 if I didn't stop throwing clean clothes in the dirty clothes pile). When I went to school, I would finish my work as fast as possible so I could draw all day long. These drawings never had people in them, just outfits! I designed my own dress for an Arkansas Razorback game and my Halloween costume multiple times. My only problem was that I always had to ask an older lady down the street to sew them. It wasn't that I didn't have the time or patience to learn, but the fear that the clothes I made would look nothing like the sketches I had before me. It scares me so much that I'm 22 and last year for Halloween I designed a Wonder Woman outfit and still had to trot down the street to ask for help.



It's almost embarassing that I won't give it a try. The lady who helps me has offered on numerous occasions to teach me and even seems a little bit upset that I always decline her offer. I doubt she would ever guess that failure scares me too much to try to learn the skill I admire most.
Hopefully one day I'll learn to sew. Maybe then I can bring all the ideas I've put on paper to life. Maybe one day I'll overcome my fear. Until then, I'll just have to rely on my neighborhood seamstress!

No comments:

Post a Comment