Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Dream Craft: Heavy Metal

Something I really enjoy about crafting is the process of visualizing an object and actually being able to produce it. I love to decorate things. I love putting a room together with all sorts of objects that I find aesthetically pleasing. I love dressing myself up in different styles, especially in my own unique style. When I just buy these things, I'm settling for the closest I can get to my mental image of whatever I'm trying to do. I'd rather construct my environment based on my desired design instead of a combination of different designs. While there are a variety of different mediums I could learn to best suite my crafting ideals, I decided to choose metal working as my dream craft.


Metal working is my dream craft because many things you can make with metal are objects I would like to have complete control over the design of. For example, I would love to make metal jewelry for myself and family. Jewelry is something that my mother, aunts, and I really connect over and is usually what we get each other for Christmas or birthdays. I never get tired of jewelry shopping and never seem to have a big enough collection. As metal jewelry is often my favorite, I would like to know how to make it. Imagine being able to make something like this:



And not to mention how much further you could take metal working past jewelry. Metal can be used for sculpting, making kitchenware, wrought iron objects like candle holders, and other types of art. I am very interested in art and would like to use metal for that purpose as well. So far, I have only experimented with painting, drawing, and film but would like to create sculptures or use metal to create an image. I like the texture and depth of it. Here's an example of what I mean:

No comments:

Post a Comment