Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Lots of Glitter

Throughout the entirety of my elementary school career, every Christmas, we made ornaments as gifts for our parents. It was the time to bust out the glitter, glue sticks, and construction paper to create a masterpiece. When I was in third grade, we were given gingerbread men templates that we had the freedom to go completely wild with. I remember going home covered in glitter - it was in my hair, on my clothes, in my shoes - everywhere. Looking back now, giving a bunch of nine year-old's free reign of the craft supplies closet probably wasn't my teacher's best moment. But, back to the gingerbread men. We were given a construction paper cutout gingerbread man and were set free. The only requirement was to paste a copy of one of our school pictures in the area where the gingerbread man's face would be. I went completely glitter crazy. I'm talking about using almost a full canister of glitter to cover a six inch cutout, minus my gingerbread mini me's face. I was so excited to take that gingerbread man home to show off to my mom, and, like all good moms, she immediately added it to our Christmas tree; I'm actually fairly sure that she still has it and puts it up each year.
While I'm pretty sure that glitter has been banned from almost all elementary school's now, my seven year-old cousin had a similar craft project that he made in school last Christmas. Just like mine, it was a hot mess, but my aunt loved it and proudly displayed it for all to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment