Thursday, September 22, 2011

My Sorceress Orb Rattle!

Finishing an object, any object is always a big deal to me.  I usually have several unfinished projects lying around my room in various stages.  I will plan projects and obtain the materials to make them only to abandon them when a new plan comes to mind, but I’m really proud of the objects I have finished.  The one object I’m proudest of isn’t knit or crochet, instead it’s made from clay.  In 12th grade I took Crafts, Pottery, and 3D Design as an elective and I really loved the pottery portion.  In class I got the opportunity to make bowls, whistles, and sculptures.  My favorite object I made is a rattle, but not the kind of rattle you give to a baby.  Yes it makes noise when you shake it, but that was the only requirement.  Instead of making a classic rattle I made a Sorceress Orb based off of my character from Diablo 2’s weapon.  It isn’t exactly like the one in the game, and it isn’t perfect, but it functions and it didn’t fall apart like I expected it to in the kiln.  I was able to take my vision and make it a reality, and I’m super proud of that.  I really loved the colors that it turned out and the way that the talons are visible.  I spent a lot of time mixing the paint to the exact shade I wanted, adding texture, and making sure the clay didn’t become too dry and fall apart.  I’m proudest of it because I had such a fun time making it and it came out way better than my expectations as a novice pottery student.


No comments:

Post a Comment