Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Prompt B - Interview with a Relative or Friend!

When I read what the prompt for this week was, I immediately went through the list of people I could easily interview for this class. My roommates were the obvious choice, but since Molly is already in this class (and I actually interviewed her in class, so I didn’t exactly have many questions for her), I decided to turn to my one other crafty roommate - Shelby. She actually fills both requirements, as she is both my cousin and friend. So... It’s like an added bonus! Here is the interview; the questions I asked, followed by her answers (exactly as she said them). I came up with several of my own questions, as well as used some of the questions we used in our interviews in class.


Kearstin: How long have you been crafting?
Shelby: Oh.. My grandma taught me to use a sewing machine when I was about... eight.
Kearstin: What sorts of crafts are you skilled at?
Shelby: I like crocheting, and I like to paint, or anything that involves hot glue. I can also knit, but it’s not my favorite.
Kearstin: Do you tend to craft for yourself, or for others?
Shelby: I only craft for myself, because it is just a creative outlet, and I don’t usually make very high-quality things. It’s just for fun.
Kearstin: What is your favorite craft you’ve ever done?
Shelby: I painted a replica of the Starry Night for an Art Appreciation class and it turned out very well. I was very proud of it.
Kearstin:
Do you have family members who make things? Who are they, and what do they make?
Shelby: My only family member who crafts is my grandma, and she makes quilts. Also, my other grandma was very big into knitting. Oh, and wait, my dad’s parents were wood carvers. They made a lot of stuff. Except for I didn’t really know them when they did that, because they were younger. I just have stuff they made. They didn’t really influence me in any way so...
Kearstin: What skills have you acquired that took long practice and didn't become enjoyable for some time? Why did you stick to it?
Shelby: How about writing? Because... I dont know. It just used to be super hard, and now it comes more easily because I’ve had so much practice in classes, and now it’s kind of second nature.
Kearstin: Is there a skill you attempted to pick up, but failed to do so? If so, how did you feel about that?
Shelby: I tried for some time to learn how to play the guitar, but I’m just not musically inclined. I really wish I had tried harder at a younger age.
Kearstin: What is the most recent crafting project you have done?
Shelby: Wall art for our room! Part of it was for my room, but I also did part of it with my roommate, Molly, for our kitchen area.
Kearstin: Do you find it is easier to craft when you are crafting with another person?
Shelby: When I make something, I usually go in my room and shut the door, and don’t let anyone see it until you’re done. I don’t like negative feedback about something I’ve created.

This is an image of the wall art Shelby did for her bedroom.

This is Shelby and Molly, displaying the wall art they made for our kitchen using paper plates.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for showing us Shelby and Molly's art. What a great way to beautify your shared space and do something creative!

    ReplyDelete