Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A Learning Experience

Learning to knit has turned out to be harder then expected and also more fun then expected. When I signed up for the class, I expected the skill to come easily. I had seen older woman practice the skill at church all the time. I figured if they had learned to do it, so could I. The first thing I did was to pick out yarn, whlich was challenging in itself. There were so many colors and types that I felt like a kid in a candy store! I went to a friend's house and explained the situation to a few of my closest friends. They watched for hours as a googled, youtubed, and called every person I knew with a Grandma to try to learn how to knit. After exhausting all my resources and tangling myself up in yarn, each one of them exclaimed that it looked so easy. The fun begin as it was my turn to see each one of my friends do the very same thing I had done, and end up just as frustrated as I had been. Going to class on the first day, I was nervous. I had tried everything and still wasn't sure how to even start a project. After going to class, watching videos, and asking for help from my teacher and classmates i'm starting to get the hang of this whole knitting thing. Although all I've produced so far is a few rows of knitting that I quickly unravel because the edges aren't straight enough or I spot a hole. This process is just beginning for me and I learn something new about myself, the process, and what it means to use a skill for good (perfect or not) each day I pick up my needles.

I know this process is far from over and I'm nowhere near secure enough to post pictures of what i've done so far. However i do have hopes and dreams for the future:

I want to knit a hat. I think i'll keep my first one just to remind myself that you're never too old to learn something new. Maybe I'll be a little more fearless after this. And maybe I'll have a picture of a hat I created uploaded soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment