Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The First Wonders of Yarn



When I was a young girl, I didn’t have any idea about how people used yarn to make amazing knitted or crocheted projects. I didn’t even know what the purpose of yarn was except that it made a convenient rope for hitching my model horses to a Barbie car in order to make a makeshift Barbie wagon! My sister and I used to use yarn to help create a prop for our numerous stories that we invented for our toys when we were young. One day, some of our friends came over for a play date and one of their mom’s showed us how we could tie three strands of yarn together at one end so we could braid those three strands. She showed us how to get started and told us to tie a knot at the end whenever we braided to the length we wanted. I fell in love with this really cool way to use yarn. All of the braids that we made were all very colorful and sometimes the braids were not as even as they should have been. This didn’t matter to us since we were actually creating something that we could tie into a bracelet or turn into a keychain to give to our parents! We were really excited and I remember spending what felt like hours braiding away with my sister. We even used these braids to decorate our Barbies and model horses, which provided us with endless hours of entertainment. Our parents fondly wore the braided bracelets and used the keychains that we made even though they probably appreciated the fact that their two young daughters made these wildly colored bracelets for them out of love instead of actually appreciating the bracelets and keychains themselves. The happiness on our parents faces encouraged us to make even more braided strands. Even today, I could probably find a few of those colorful bracelets laying around our house, which always brings back happy memories of my first discovery of the wonders of yarn!

No comments:

Post a Comment