Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Finally Finished




Let me just say.. Learning to knit so far has been much more exciting and beneficial than I ever thought it would be. Although initially I spent several weeks fumbling around with my fingers and getting yarn twisted, the moves eventually began to feel natural. I fact, it fascinates me that I no longer have to concentrate on every slip of the yarn. Instead, my hands have begun to take over. I knit everywhere now. :/ During classes, between classes, during staff meetings, while doing homework. However, I think that is fantastic. :)








And I am almost done with my first knitted item! When I first started knitting, I was using size 8 needles and I had a cheap skein of yarn that I had gotten at Walmart. But once I began to pick up the skill, I realized that neither of those felt good in my hands. The needles were sufficient, but the stitches they created were too small for me to feel confident in my progress. And the yarn itself was a bright color, but felt itchy and uncomfortable under my fingertips. That was when I decided to treat myself. I have always been a person that is very touch-oriented. When I was little, I used to get in trouble walking through clothing stores because I would feel every fabric that we passed. In fact, it didn't just stop at fabric. I once knocked a fourty dollar bottle of bourbon off the shelf at a grocery store because I kept running my hands over the bottles. :(








Knitting satisfies the tactile urges that I often feel. Being able to run silky, soft, and cozy yarn through my fingers is something that delights me and calms me down. That made working with the yarn I got for this project really fun. I picked a dusty purple color because purple has always been, is, and will always be my favorite color. And I just started knitting.








And now my project is almost done!! The first thing I ever knitted and completed. I am so excited that, now that I have mastered the basics, I can begin to create even bigger and better things. I can make things for myself, for friends, for family, for strangers. I can make a difference- whether that be by treating someone to a handmade gift, relinquishing my dependence on store bought items, or helping someone in need. It is so special to truly appreciate the skill I have learned, rather than just knitting because it is part of my grade. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment