Wednesday, September 21, 2011

My Proudest Project!

This summer, I completed my first cabled “scarf.” It was the first time I had ever knitted anything that wasn’t a simple garter stitch. I had tried a few things here and there, but never had I actually finished a project of this skill level. The pattern was difficult for me at first. I had a hard time remembering which row I was on, but eventually I just started keeping a tally to keep me on track. Soon enough, I had really gotten the hang of it! It definitely is not the most beautiful thing in the world, and it’s not even that functional. I started it partly through a skein that I had used about ½ of, and the resulting scarf was about three feet long. However insignificant and dysfunctional this scarf may be, I am still very proud of it. It is really skinny and the edges roll up so much that it is just about 4 inches wide. And I love it. When I finished the end of the skein, I was so proud of myself! I immediately showed off my new achievement to my friends and family. And even though it was pretty pitiful looking, and looking back at it I realize how silly it looks, I was still proud of it! It was like I made an A on a tough test and I wanted to hang it on the fridge for the world to see! And my friends and family were proud of me as well. I think a lot of their pride in me was a result of the pride I had in myself for competing it! When they saw how excited I was about it, they couldn’t help but be excited as well!

The process of making this scarf encouraged me to try a little more advanced scarf. I am currently working on a cabled scarf that has three cables on it and it is about three times as wide as my first one. I basically just adapted the pattern from the first one and make a pattern for the second one! It is going really well! I messed up on one row, but I didn’t realize it until about 3 rows later and I didn’t want to risk creating a huge hole, so I just left it! My roommate saw me working on this new scarf, and she was so proud of it! I asked her if she thought it was cute enough to wear, and she jumped up and said, “I would definitely wear it!” That definitely made my pride go up a bit! Knowing that someone was willing to actually wear something that I had made gave me a huge sense of self worth! It makes me want to try more and more patterns!


This was a picture I took while I was in the process of making the scarf this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment