Wednesday, August 24, 2011

So far my foray into the world of crocheting has been marked periodically by bouts of frustration; my biggest problem so far has been that all my chains are too tight. When I try to crochet a looser chain, it still turns out a bit tight. But as I have been working on my swatch, crocheting is becoming a bit easier. However, I am still a bigger fan of knitting; I feel that I have more control over the yarn when I knit. Then again, this is only my second time to attempt crocheting. The two people who have taught me to crochet are my grandmother and my roommate, Monica.

A few weeks ago, I asked my grandmother to teach me how to crochet, and she taught me the basic single stitch and how to create a chain. While she was teaching me, I told her that my homework was to learn how to crochet this summer. Then she began asking about Crafting Wisely. I asked her who taught her to crochet, and she said her mother in law, my great grandmother. My grandmother said her mom thought crocheting was old fashioned and outdated because her mother, my great-great grandmother, crocheted all sorts of things especially doilies. Ironically enough my mom is not fond of crocheting. It is interesting that the popularity of crocheting/other hand crafts seems to skip generations, at least with my family. The funny thing is that I think we still have some of those doilies my great-great grandmother made except my sister and I used them as Barbie rugs in our dollhouses!

No comments:

Post a Comment