Monday, August 15, 2011

Domestic Diva… haha more like Domestically Challenged

Well I had the best of intentions but I haven't quite followed through... I ran to HobbyLobby and Michaels with my 40% off coupons the week our supply list posted; I was going to be on top of my game this summer! Not only was I planning to order all of my fall textbooks in the first two weeks of the break, I was going to read the first five chapters of each and type up summaries on my lunch breaks; haha, life got in the way. Here I am two weeks from the day our blogs are due, three weeks from move in day, and I'm only beginning to make any progress on my knitting and I've just bought my first textbook. Procrastinator and perfectionist aren't terms usually used to describe a single individual because, in my opinion, most individuals with my issues must have had mental breakdowns by now and thus have gained some more impressive medical diagnoses. Before I can tell you about my knitting you'll need some background on my mental state...


I moved home on the 6th of May, Friday of finals week, and started work on the next Monday morning. I work Monday thru Friday, starting at 7 am (sometimes 6am) and ending between 5 and 5:30. Its a 35 min. commute to & from the office. Despite my schedule, I was sure I would have tons of spare time (after all I am an Honor's student, right?) so took it easy the first couple of days, I had all summer to accomplish something. But my mom was having a routine laparoscopic hysterectomy that Wednesday... two hours in surgery, 4 small incisions, and a one night hospital stay. Instead of that simplistic surgery, the week ended with a four hours of surgery, an additional eight inch caesarian incision, four days of inpatient care, and an official diagnosis of uterine cancer that came on Friday the 13th. After 8 weeks of recovery, by mother had a second surgery that completed her hysterectomy, removed 30+ lymph nodes, and an assortment of internal parts, leaving her sick as a dog. She was under medical orders to avoid doing just about anything-leaving the shopping, cooking, and housework up to me and my dad. And as the project manager on several engineering projects on the east coast, he's out of state quite a bit. The end result of all that is I'm getting less sleep than at college and our house is a bit on the messy side.

The one thing I just haven't been able to adjust to this summer is the computer/internet connection I have at home. I promise our DELLosaurus must run hamster wheel power because it runs at half the speed of normal dial-up... meaning 10 min. to even load my gmail ( which has 3 emails in it). So as appalled as you savvy knitters maybe, I'm quite proud of my practice swatch. I am a visual learner and thanks to our internet, videos are out of the question; Therefore, the only instructions I've been able to access have no illustrations. I think I'm using garter stitch, but it may be my own brand of it. I kept looking at the instructions and questioning my own sanity. I'm working towards being a kindergarten teacher, and I couldn't even count stitches. I took out the first row probably a dozen times, ending in a tangled mess, but when I finally decided to give up and move on I think I might have gotten somewhere; then again, you all might know better... but please don't spoil it for me yet, just wait until we're at school and I can use real internet! Just kidding, but before my WIP is finished I may need to some professional help.

(Due to the internet here, this was posted well after I intended, and the images may not upload)

No comments:

Post a Comment