Friday, August 12, 2011

Side Project: Ribbed Stitch

Once I was sure that I had a basic garter stitch down, I decided to try something a little more technical/challenging. Enter: the 1x1 rib stitch. This posed a bit more of a challenge than the garter stitch because it required more of my attention. As in, I really had to pay attention to what I was doing and what stitch I was on so my stitches wouldn't get off.
At first, the purl stitch was more than a little awkward, but with some practice, I had it down fairly well. The next hurdle was figuring out how to alternate between the garter stitch and purl stitch; before I knew what had happened, I had a mass of tangled, knotted yarn. After a few more attempts, I figured it out, and an actual pattern of sorts began to emerge. My end product definitely isn't perfect, but it turned out a lot better than I imagined it would in the beginning.
Also, I found this video very helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uw-nUvGrBY
With the background music, it's super cheesy, but it takes you through basic knitting skills step-by-step.

No comments:

Post a Comment