Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Summer Project

Since my knitting skills were sub-par (to say the least) before this summer, my project was to learn a basic garter stitch. While it sounds simple, I came to realize that it really wasn't. I already knew how to crochet, so I figured that it would be pretty easy to pick up knitting.
My granny is an expert at most things homemade, so I went to her for some knitting lessons; that was mistake number one. Like most grannies, my granny loves to talk. And bake me things. It took a few visits before we ever actually started working on knitting, which is when the second problem arose. Granny is right-handed, but I'm in with the other 10% of the population that happens to be left-handed. After much confusion, and a lot of trial and error, I was able to produce this:
Being the perfectionist that I am, I probably had to restart about ten times before I actually truly started anything. After a few days of tangled yarn and frustration, I had finished my first knitted... thing. Before I go back to school, granny said that she would teach me how to do a rib stitch, as well.

1 comment:

  1. That's a great story, and your garter stitch came out beautifully. What kind of yarn is that?

    ReplyDelete