Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Crafting Memory From Childhood

As far back as I can remember, I have been watching my mother create scrapbooks. Not just the kind where you slide photos into pre-attached pouches.. No, my mom creates masterpieces. If I decide I want to go back to a part of my childhood, or look back on a vacation, I can pull out the carefully organized and labeled book for that time and start to drift away.

The coolest thing for me was going into her scrapbook room. Oh my goodness, there were always so many fun things to play with, and feel, and look at. Sparkles and beautiful papers, multicolored inks and intricate stamps, die-cuts and markers and stickers galore. I always wanted to grab whatever I could get my hands on and create my own beautiful pages, but the supplies were off limits until I was around eight.

We had just gotten back from Mexico, and instead of watching my mom create the memory book of our vacation, she allowed me to help. I was able to decorate certain pages with my own combinations of stickers, and I was allowed to do all of the writing about our trip (which of course makes the pages look pretty messy to my eyes today). However, I love looking at that book and seeing the combination of my work and my mother's work together. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment