Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Swatchtastic

I took this class because I knew it would be a challenge for me--I'm notoriously bad at anything to do with my hands. Building, sewing, origami, hell, even cooking. I've just got clumsy fingers. So, needless to say, I was a little intimidated by knitting.

Not gonna lie, it took me forever to understand what the hell I was doing. It probably didn't help that, in my excitement to get started (and much badgering from my sister about choosing a pretty color) that I got the wrong weight of yarn. Not sure if that was a blessing or a curse--I was suddenly more determined than ever to get this right despite this and other setbacks.

After many failed attempts to emulate YouTube videos, I finally found one that did the trick for me. I showed my handiwork off to everyone in my family because I was so ridiculously excited. Unfortunately, making the actual stitches was extremely tough for me. I looked up tons of videos, but all of them were just too quick and deft for my brain--and fingers--to comprehend. Finally, after much desperate Googling, I came across Knitting for Dummies, and it was like a light clicked on in my head. I've never been so happy to call myself a dummy.

So here it is. It's scrunchy and curly and holy but I love it. It's also huge--I'm just gonna use up the whole ball of yarn. Or as much as I can before it all starts falling off the needles.


Apologies for the shoddy picture quality!

No comments:

Post a Comment