Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Learning to Crochet

I wish I could say I was successful. I really do. But, alas, that is not the case. My first swatch was in a terrible stitch that Donna later informed me is called the “slip stitch”. I was trying to follow the book instructions for single crochet, and instead I ended up with a tight, difficult stitch that didn’t really look right. I should have known something was up! Also, I found that my choice of yarn tended to fall to threads when I tried to work with it… I loved the yarn, so if anyone knows what may have caused this and/or how to avoid it, please let me know!

My mother must have heard the relatively obscene phrases I was spitting from my room because she showed up with her own needle and yarn in hand about two hours into my crochet challenge. Working together, I was able to understand the single stich a lot better! The second swatch wasn’t nearly as stiff or difficult, and it actually flowed quite easily after a while. I only ran into a problem when I had to figure out how to hold the needle steady in my right hand (my hands shake quite a bit). Yet at the end I remained frustrated. As I was stitching a rectangle of single crochet, my mother produced a handful of beautiful Granny blocks. The rectangle I had been somewhat proud of now seemed lackluster…

My attitude didn’t really surprise me. I tend to be fond of finished products, but I rarely have the patience to get them there. (Also evidenced by a couple incomplete needlepoints, an abandoned scarf, a latch-hook that was eventually passed on to my brother, and a forgotten paint-by-numbers.) I hope that in this class I learn the patience and determination to actually FINISH something beautiful and interesting. It’s a personal goal, say.

Yet, as I look towards a last minute research trip to Houston and then a hellish schedule from the first day out (is that not everyone’s thought?), the mastering of crochet beyond a single crochet (or perhaps the patience to try) still eludes me. I think my next project will be knitting. I have yet to learn to purl stitch… then I could see a garter stich in my future. How about a scarf? Well… I won’t get to ambitious. J

(Also, I think that this is the right way to post a blog... if its not, forgive me!!!)

1 comment:

  1. Many yarns will lose their tightly wound composure when worked over and over again, sadly, and there's really nothing you can do to save them.

    ReplyDelete