Friday, August 19, 2011

A Slytherin Scarf is an Awesome One!

So when I was deciding what to make for my first wip it was almost time for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 to come out, and I knew that I was going to wait in line for at least 9 hours to see it. I'm a bit obsessed and I just knew that no matter how early I got there someone would be there earlier, and I wouldn't get the prime seat I required to have the best movie experience possible.  I decided to make use of all of that free time sitting in line to work on a scarf, not just any scarf, a Harry Potter themed one.  So I decided to knit a scarf in Slytherin colors even though I was going dressed as a Gryffindor to see if anyone would say anything. 

Since I was short on time this scarf is made of acrylic yarn, not wool because I couldn’t find the color of green I wanted at Hobby Lobby, but I decided since my scarf was going to be more of a costume piece than anything I’d knit this one for fun and practice and knit a warm fuzzy wool one next when I’m ready to tackle one of the scarf pattern in “Charmed Knits Projects for fans of Harry Potter” that requires needles and skill that I don’t currently have.

I decided to knit a version of the basic 2x2 rib stitch scarf from “Stitch ‘n Bitch” with silver stripes that look similar to the scarves in the Harry Potter movies from the Prisoner of Azkaban onwards.  I tried to knit a swatch in purl stitch first but I wasn’t really getting the difference in between purl and knit.   But in a ribbed scarf they’re right next to each other so I decided to jump in and try.  I enjoy making progress on things and the swatch didn’t make me feel that way.  But learning to purl was a lot easier for me in scarf form.

So I cast on 32 stitches on size 10 needles and off I went.



Everyone near me in line seemed fascinated by the fact that I could knit, they all thought that it was neat.  I managed to get about 9 inches or so into my scarf while I sat and talked to my sister and the other people in line.  I found out that the girl in front of me was going to be in one of my classes this semester at UCA.  It is indeed a small world.


Since the HP premier the free time to work on my scarf has been scarce.  If only I could knit and scroll on my computer at the same time I'd probably make more progress.  My internet addiction is encroaching on my knitting time.  So my scarf remained mostly untouched, sure I'd pick it up and add a row or two when I was thinking about it, but other than that I was making no progress.  Finally last night I grabbed my scarf and put it in my purse on the way to my little sisters open house last night. I started knitting in the car and I continued to knit as I stood around for about 30min waiting on the opening assembly to start.  It was amusing to watch all of the teachers, students, and other parents give me strange looks as I stood there knitting.  They all seemed to think I was a Sheridan High School student they didn't know, and that I was a bit strange.  So in one night I got to tell 3 teachers that I was in fact a junior in college not a high school student and I almost doubled the length of my scarf.  It's about 17 inches long now!

No comments:

Post a Comment